02 March 2006

Jack Wild, Star Of 'H.R. Pufnstuf,' Dies At 53




I loved this show. I am a bit mortified, though, that the KID, the one *I* called THE KID, is FIFTY-FREAKIN-THREE YEARS OLD. Goddammit. Life is going much too fast for comfort and it makes me feel very panicky.

LONDON -- The actor who starred in the television show "H.R. Pufnstuf" and played the Artful Dodger in the movie musical "Oliver!" has died. His agent said Jack Wild had mouth cancer. He was 53. Wild (see photo here) was discovered as a child playing soccer in a London park. He later appeared in the London stage production of "Oliver!" and then in the film, which earned him an Oscar nomination at the age of 16. On "H.R. Pufnstuf," Wild played Jimmy, the hero of the show. Wild struggled with alcoholism as an adult and he blamed his cancer on his heavy drinking and smoking. After he was diagnosed with cancer in 2000, he had surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy which left him unable to speak. Wild is survived by his wife, Claire Harding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wot?! This was over a month ago and I never would have even heard about it if I hadn't gone to Cindy's blog! I am wearing black the rest of the month.
Also a wierd coincidence that I made out with a guy in New Orleans that was trying to impress me by saying that his uncle had produced this show....