09 April 2007

Today is the first day of the rest of my...

Will and I have decided to stop drinking (!) until Vegas. Hence, the countdown begins. May 15 is when I leave Denver. There is so much stress in my life right now that I can't believe I even agreed to this, but then again it's probably the best time to quit. Better for the mental health and all that shit. The thing is, my nightly wine is SUCH a ritual that it's scary to think of how I'm going to change it. Somehow, in the past few years, I have developed a habit wherein, once Spencer is in bed, I light a fire in the fireplace, light some incense, pour a big fat glass of wine, and have my nightly smoke while watching a TLC or Discovery Channel show that inevitably makes me cry. I guess that this habit first came into play when Spencer was a bit younger and I was a bit lonelier. Anyhoo, time to stop it. I often feel guilty about it, which doesn't contribute positively to my stress level in general. In a perfect world, I would take this opportunity to get in shape, start an exercise program, do more volunteer work, or whatever, but it's all I can do right now to quit smoking and drinking, and I think that's enough. It's going to suck a whole lot, which is how it is with most things that are good for you. Hopefully I don't end up pregnant...hey, I have to do SOMETHING to keep my mind busy!

2 comments:

onthevirg said...

Giving up the booze?! Has the world gone mad!? J/K...good luck w/ that, especially the quitting smoking part. I've found I enjoy having a beer or drink too much to give it break over any extended period. That or I'm just a drunk...probably the latter.

BigChunkySoul said...

I believe the world HAS gone mad. But that's a whole nother issue. Sadly, it is also a fact that when you're an old lady and trying to be somewhat healthy, a bottle-and-then-some-a-night habit is not good. But DAG I loves me my wine!! I have no problem with quitting smoking if I'm not drinking. The two go hand-in-hand for me...hence, I'm screwed if I do either one. I have a particularly stressful Friday coming up (office relocation, all on my shoulders), so I will probably do bad things and feel horribly guilty for days after. Which brings to mind the question: WTF am I going to DO all weekend if I'm not drinking wine while either gardening (sunny weather) or watching movies (snow, which is imminent this weekend)???? Ack.